Forecast Explorer - changing Australian weather services
The Bureau of Meteorology is upgrading its operational forecast system in each State over the next 5 years. View details about the upgrade project.
New and improved services are coming to New South Wales from late August 2010. Tasmania and South Australia are planned for 2011.
Some of the changes Australians will notice include:
High detail quality controlled forecast maps for the next 7 days can be viewed using this interactive website.
New Forecast Presentation
The 7 day forecast will be available with pictures to help plan your week around the weather. See how it looks for Victoria.
Daily Weather Forecasts
- 7 day detailed and "in-brief" forecasts will be available for most major towns
- Wind speeds described in kilometres per hour, rather than 'moderate' or 'fresh'.
- Terms such as 'mild' and 'warm' replaced with temperature ranges.
- Maximum and minimum temperatures will be replaced with "daytime maximum temperatures" for the period 6am to 9pm, and "overnight minimum temperatures" for the period 6pm to 9am.
- Some Coastal forecast zones may be reconfigured or split into two new areas to provide more specific information for those zones.
- Coastal Waters forecasts will include wind, seas, and swells for each of the next 3 days. Previously sea and swell conditions were only available for today and tomorrow.
- Capital City waterways with high boating traffic will receive a Local Waters forecast of wind and sea conditions for the next 4 days. A webpage displaying highly detailed map forecasts will also be available for these boating areas.
- Marine wind warnings will highlight the worst conditions expected in each coastal or local waters area for the following 24 hour period.
- Forecasts and warnings will use plain language to describe wind directions, rather than abbreviated terms.
- There will be 7 day forecasts for more rural locations.
- There will be improved information about the timing and duration of adverse weather conditions.
- More details about wind and rainfall for the next 7 days.
Download Brochures about the changes (pdf)