Working in Antarctica
Are you looking for a truly unique, challenging and rewarding work assignment?
The Bureau regularly recruits staff for expeditions to Antarctica. We offer employment as meteorologists, weather observers and technical officers - engineers to work at our three continental stations, Casey, Davis, Mawson and our subantarctic station, Macquarie Island.
Our assignments are usually of 16 months duration, with an initial 4 to 6 months preparation and training in Hobart, followed by an Antarctic expedition of approximately 12 months.
Departure is usually between November to April, depending on the location of the station you have been selected for.
The Antarctica remuneration package includes competitive salaries, additional Antarctic Allowances of up to $54,595 per annum, travel and accommodation, clothing and food.
To find out more about our work opportunities, remuneration and conditions of employment, please visit the links below.
- Technical Officer Level 4 Engineering
- Observer - Technical Officer Level 2
- Senior Observer - Technical Officer Level 3
- Meteorologist - Professional Officer Class 2
- Senior Meteorologist - Senior Professional Officer Grade C
- General Information - Bureau of Meteorology 2014/2015 Antarctic Program - pdf | doc
- Antarctica Entitlements for 2014/2015 Antarctic Program - pdf
- Antarctic Testimonials: Gavin Heatherington-Tait (pdf | doc), Kheyan Maddox (pdf | doc)
Vacancies currently open for applications are listed in our current vacancies list. To apply, click the "Start New Application" link next to the vacancy of interest.