Spatial climate datasets are available as two dimensional gridded datasets and many can be downloaded for free in ARC ASCII format. These datasets can be ported into a GIS or similar spatial data visualisation tool, and can be used to investigate the data or generate individual maps. They are not suitable for use in Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet programs. Charges apply to generate these data in other formats such as shapefiles or other raster formats.
Browse online maps and download gridded spatial data
Free download of individual grids is available from many of the map pages linked below. All gridded data are provided with relevant metadata to assist in understanding the analysis techniques, spatial extents and data limitations.
Please read the metadata to determine the fitness of the data for your purpose.
- Daily, monthly, seasonal and annual temperature
- Average temperature
- Average decadal and multi-decadal temperature
- Average daily apparent temperature
- Average temperature percentiles (gridded data available on request, charges apply)
- Average potential frost days
- Average heating and cooling degree days
- Sunshine, radiation and cloud
- Cyclones and Thunderstorms
- Climate classifications
Request bulk gridded data
We can provide you with a range of gridded datasets (grids) for Australia. These include:
- Daily rainfall grids
- Daily maximum and minimum temperature grids
- Daily solar exposure grids
- Daily vapour pressure grids
- Hourly Global Horizontal Irradiance & Direct Normal Irradiance
- Monthly rainfall grids
- Monthly temperature grids
- Monthly solar grids
Prices for data
Gridded data is available at a cost recovery charge by submitting a data request.
Send a request Contact us for data that is not available online, or if you require further information.