The National Plan for Environmental Information initiative established the Bureau of Meteorology as Australia's central coordinating authority for environmental information. This role involves developing, supporting and enhancing an Australian Government environmental information network.
An Australian Government Environmental Information Advisory Group chaired by the Bureau assists in the delivery of the initiative, and provides an ongoing forum for cross-agency information exchange and coordination.
Resources are now available to promote the range of environmental information activity that is occurring across the country, including:
- The Statement of Australian Government Requirements for Environmental Information which is a critical first step towards presenting a framework for whole-of-government collaboration on environmental information.
- The Environmental Information Products and Services Directory provides access to environmental information products and services.
- Publication of eXchange, an electronic newsletter promoting environmental information activities.
- Identification of environmental information products and services priorities that support numerous Australian Government policy, program and legislative needs.
Please contact us for more information.
The Australian Government portfolios and agencies represented on the Australian Government Environmental Information Advisory Group (the Advisory Group) use or produce environmental information in activities including policy development, research, monitoring, analysis, modelling and reporting. The Advisory Group has produced the Statement of Australian Government Requirements for Environmental Information.
Advisory Group members include:
- Attorney-General's Department
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Communications
- Department of Defence
- Department of Education
- Department of Finance
- Department of Health
- Department of Industry
- Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Department of the Environment
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Geoscience Australia
- Murray–Darling Basin Authority
- The Treasury.