Central West Slopes and Plains

View the current warnings for New South Wales

Forecast issued at 4:30 pm EDT on Thursday 28 January 2021.

Weather Situation

A high pressure system is centred to the south of Tasmania and a trough of low pressure is over the wet of the state. The high will move slowly east, reaching the southern Tasman Sea by Friday as the trough deepens over the west. This pattern will result in showers and generally mild temperatures in the east and south, with warm and unstable conditions over the north and west. During the weekend, the trough is forecast to move into southeastern parts of the state

Forecast for the rest of Thursday

Partly cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers in the south, near zero chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm, possibly severe. Winds easterly 25 to 40 km/h.

Friday 29 January

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers in the south, slight (20%) chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm. Heavy falls possible on the plains. Winds east to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 14 and 21 with daytime temperatures reaching 25 to 35.

Fire Danger
Central Ranges: Low-Moderate
North Western: High
Upper Central West Plains: Low-Moderate
Lower Central West Plains: Low-Moderate

Sun protection 9:00am to 5:30pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

7 day Town Forecasts

Precis Icon Location Min Max
Partly cloudy. Dubbo 17 31
Showers. Possible storm. Parkes 15 28

Saturday 30 January

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers in the south, slight (20%) chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h tending northerly 20 to 30 km/h in the morning then becoming light in the late afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to between 17 and 22 with daytime temperatures reaching 30 to 35.

Sunday 31 January

Mostly sunny morning. Slight (30%) chance of a shower in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Light winds becoming southeast to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning then tending east to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 17 and 23 with daytime temperatures reaching 31 to 37.

Monday 1 February

Mostly sunny morning. Slight (30%) chance of a shower, most likely in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Winds easterly 15 to 25 km/h turning north to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h during the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to between 17 and 23 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 30s.

The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:15 am EDT Friday.

Product IDN11034