North West Slopes and Plains Forecast

View the current warnings for New South Wales

Forecast issued at 4:30 pm EDT on Thursday 13 December 2018.

Weather Situation

A broad, slow moving low pressure system and associated trough over western NSW draws humid air from Queensland over the state. A low pressure centre is expected to form within the trough near the Victorian border. This system, combined with high levels of moisture, is generating shower and thunderstorm activity throughout the state, with some severe thunderstorms moving through the state. Heavier showers and thunderstorms are expected to contract further east during Friday and Saturday, then to the northeast on Sunday.

Forecast for the rest of Thursday

Cloudy. Very high (95%) chance of showers. A thunderstorm likely, possibly severe. Winds north to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h.

Friday 14 December

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of rain, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm, possibly severe. Heavy falls possible in the north. Winds northwest to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h tending northeast to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening then becoming light in the late evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 18 and 21 with daytime temperatures reaching around 30.

Fire Danger
New England: Low-Moderate
Northern Slopes: Low-Moderate
North Western: Low-Moderate

Sun protection 8:40am to 5:00pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

7 day Town Forecasts

Precis Icon Location Min Max
Showers. Possible storm. Tamworth 19 29
Showers. Possible storm. Moree 20 30
Rain. Possible storm. Narrabri 19 29

Saturday 15 December

Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers on the northern slopes, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and early evening. Heavy falls possible on the northern slopes. Light winds becoming northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h early in the morning then tending northwest to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h in the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to between 16 and 20 with daytime temperatures reaching 29 to 35.

Sunday 16 December

Partly cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers on the northern slopes, medium (40%) chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon. Winds north to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h tending east to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 18 and 21 with daytime temperatures reaching 27 to 35.

Monday 17 December

Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower on the slopes, most likely in the afternoon. Near zero chance of rain elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon. Light winds. Overnight temperatures falling to between 18 and 22 with daytime temperatures reaching 29 to 35.

The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:15 am EDT Friday.

Product IDN11033