South Coast Forecast

View the current warnings for New South Wales

Forecast issued at 5:15 am EDT on Friday 30 January 2015.

Weather Situation

A low pressure centre is deepening within a trough over the Tasman Sea, while a high lies to the southwest of Tasmania. The low is expected to shift southwest towards Tasmania then remain very slow-moving through the next few days as the high passes to its south. This pattern will maintain generally dry southerly winds over most of New South Wales, with any shower activity restricted to parts of the east. During the weekend the low is forecast to gradually weaken and move away to the east, with a new high south of the Bight building a ridge along the New South Wales coast.

Forecast for the rest of Friday

Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers near the Victorian border, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. Winds southwesterly 25 to 40 km/h. Daytime maximum temperatures between 15 and 23.

Large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as rock fishing, swimming and surfing.

Fire Danger
Illawarra/Shoalhaven: Low-Moderate
Far South Coast: Low-Moderate

UV Alert from 9:20 am to 5:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

7 day Town Forecasts

Precis Icon Location Min Max
Becoming cloudy. Batemans Bay 23
Possible shower. Bega 21
Shower or two. Becoming windy. Merimbula 20

Saturday 31 January

Partly cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers near the Victorian border, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. Winds southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 9 and 14 with daytime temperatures reaching 20 to 25.

Large and powerful surf conditions in the morning are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as rock fishing, swimming and surfing.

Sunday 1 February

Partly cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Winds southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending southeast to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day then becoming southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 9 and 14 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s.

Monday 2 February

Partly cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers. Winds southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending southerly 20 to 30 km/h during the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to between 9 and 14 with daytime temperatures reaching the low 20s.

The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:30 pm EDT Friday.

Product IDN11028