South West Slopes Forecast

View the current warnings for New South Wales

Forecast issued at 4:35 pm EDT on Wednesday 19 December 2018.

Weather Situation

A weak high pressure system over the northern Tasman Sea extends a ridge to the north coast while a trough over central parts of Australia moves east. This pattern is drawing hot air from central Australia into inland New South Wales, leading to heatwave conditions in some areas. The trough is expected to deepen tonight as it enters the far west of the state, then shift further east during Thursday before stalling and weakening about the northern slopes on Friday and Saturday. Shower and storm activity is expected to be generated by the trough over the next couple of days, though cooler conditions are expected in its wake. A high pressure system is forecast to drift across southeastern Australia during the weekend.

Forecast for the rest of Wednesday

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers, becoming less likely later tonight. The chance of a thunderstorm, possibly severe in the north. Light winds becoming east to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h in the evening.

Thursday 20 December

Mostly sunny. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon. Winds northeast to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h tending northwest to southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h in the early afternoon then tending southeast to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h in the late afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to between 16 and 20 with daytime temperatures reaching 29 to 39.

Fire Danger - Southern Slopes: High

Sun protection 8:30am to 5:30pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

7 day Town Forecasts

Precis Icon Location Min Max
Mostly sunny. Young 19 39

Friday 21 December

Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers about the ranges, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Winds northeast to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h tending northwest to southwesterly in the middle of the day then tending northeast to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 14 and 19 with daytime temperatures reaching 22 to 32.

Saturday 22 December

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers in the south, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon. Winds east to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 10 and 15 with daytime temperatures reaching between 19 and 26.

Sunday 23 December

Sunny. Winds east to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to between 8 and 12 with daytime temperatures reaching 22 to 28.

The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:15 am EDT Thursday.

Product IDN11035