- 1890 Station Opened at Kingston (rainfall only)
- 1939 Rainfall, temperature, pressure and wind recorded (wind measured by a hand held instrument till 1943) at Airport. Met staff occupied a house that was located near to the present runways intersection. Staffed by NZ Meteorological Service 1939-41, 1946-48, Royal NZ Air Force 1941-46.
- 1946 Sunshine Recorder installed(Campbell-Stokes)
- 1947 Staffing begins by Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology (overlap of two years with NZ Meteorological Service)
- 1948 Pluviograph installed (Dines syphoning) to measure rainfall intensity
- 1950 Operations move to joint Operations/Control Tower building
- 1951 Barometer and cloud base searchlight installed
- 1958 New office
- 1969 Radar installed (WF2)
- 1976 Wind Run Anemometer (Synchrotac) and Evaporation Pan (Type Class A) installed
- 1984 - Radar upgraded to WF100-5C
- 1997 - AWS (Almos) installed and site moved NE approx 100 metres and began observations. Manual instruments were replaced by an AWS. During the period 24/1/1997 to 1/5/1999 overlap observations were taken.
- 2001 Radar upgraded to WF100-5C
- 2001 Synoptic observations time changed to standard times. ie 0900 1200 1500 etc. Previously observations performed at 0830 local, 1130 etc. 2002 -Ceilometer (Vaisala CT25K)and visibility meter (Vaisala FD12) installed
- 2003 New Meteorological office building opened completed - Radar upgraded to WF100-6C