The graphic in this product may not update automatically. If the issue time on the graphic does not match the issue time of the text please Refresh or Reload the page to get the latest graphic.
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
New South Wales
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for LARGE HAILSTONES, HEAVY RAINFALL and DESTRUCTIVE WIND
For people in the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter, South Coast, Southern Tablelands and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:38 pm Sunday, 29 November 2015.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce giant hailstones (greater than 5cm diameter), heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and destructive winds over the next several hours in the Northern Rivers and parts of the Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Tenterfield, Sawtell and Dorrigo.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter, South Coast and Southern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Batemans Bay, Moruya Heads and Stroud.
Hail of 4cm and 5cm diameter was reported at Lismore and Tatham around 4:30pm.
43mm fell in 30 minutes at Repentance (Coopers Creek in Northern Rivers) between 4:30pm and 5pm.
Hail of 4.5cm diameter was reported 3km south of Bellingen (Mid North Coast) at about 2pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 8:40 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.