Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA
for DAMAGING WIND and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in parts of the
Northern Local Warning Area.
Issued at 4:02 pm Friday, 9 October 2015.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:05 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Sunbury and the area east of Sunbury. These thunderstorms are moving towards the northeast. They are forecast to affect Whittlesea and the area west of Whittlesea by 4:35 pm.
Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:05 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the North Central, Wimmera and parts of the Central, East Gippsland, Mallee, South West, Northern Country, North East and West and South Gippsland districts.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.