Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND, HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the Mallee and parts of the East Gippsland, North East, West and South Gippsland and Wimmera Forecast Districts.
Issued at 12:38 pm Saturday, 10 October 2015.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones over the next several hours in parts of the East Gippsland, North East and West and South Gippsland districts. Locations which may be affected include Traralgon, Sale, Bairnsdale, Maffra, Falls Creek and Omeo.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in the Mallee and parts of the Wimmera districts. Locations which may be affected include Mildura, Ouyen, Murrayville, Rainbow, Walpeup and Robinvale.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:40 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.