Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND
For people in parts of the Central, Mallee, South West, Northern Country, North Central and Wimmera Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:47 pm Wednesday, 22 October 2014.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Swan Hill, Horsham, Stawell, Warracknabeal, Ararat and Kerang.
A wind gust of 96 km/hr was recorded at Horsham at 4:18pm this afternoon associated with a thunderstorm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 8:50 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.