Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the
East Gippsland and parts of the
North East Forecast Districts.
Issued at 6:35 pm Friday, 13 December 2013.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Orbost, Buchan, Mallacoota, Falls Creek, Mt Hotham and Omeo.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the West and South Gippsland district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 9:35 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.