Forecast issued at 3:50 pm EST on Friday 29 August 2014.
A low pressure system lies in the Tasman Sea offshore of the New South Wales coast. It is expected to weaken and shift slowly east southeast through the Tasman Sea during the forecast period. A high over southeastern Australia extends a firm ridge along the east Queensland coast. The high will weaken and shift east northeast towards the Tasman Sea during the forecast period, gradually relaxing the ridge.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
- Southerly 15 to 20 knots, reaching up to 25 knots over the far southeast sector of the forecast area.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- Southerly 2 to 2.5 metres, tending southeasterly 2 to 2.5 metres by early evening.
- Large and powerful surf conditions in the afternoon and evening are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Saturday 30 August
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for Gold Coast Waters
- South to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots, reaching up to 30 knots over the far southeast sector of the forecast area early in the morning.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 3 metres offshore.
Sunday 31 August
- Southerly 15 to 25 knots becoming variable about 10 knots in the early afternoon.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1 metre around midday.
- Southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres offshore.
Monday 1 September
- North to northwesterly about 10 knots increasing to 15 to 20 knots during the morning.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon or evening.
- Southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the evening.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Saturday.