Forecast issued at 10:24 pm EST on Thursday 28 August 2014.
A complex low pressure system lies off the eastern australian coast. A small low within this complex is currently moving northeastwards, away from the southern Queensland coast. Further south, another low within the complex is expected to move towards the New South Wales coast during Friday, and then move eastwards away from the coast on Saturday. A slow moving high in the southern Tasman sea will maintain a ridge through western and northern Queensland through the remainder of this week.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Gold Coast Waters
- Southerly 25 to 30 knots.
- 3 metres.
- Southeasterly 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres offshore.
- Large and powerful surf conditions in the evening are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Friday 29 August
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Gold Coast Waters
- Southerly 20 to 30 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots in the late evening.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- Southeasterly 2.5 to 3 metres.
- Large and powerful surf conditions in the morning are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
Saturday 30 August
- South to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres around midday.
- Southerly 2.5 to 3 metres, tending southeasterly 2.5 to 3 metres around midday, then tending southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the afternoon.
Sunday 31 August
- South to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots turning east to southeasterly below 10 knots during the afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the evening.
- South to southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 2.5 metres offshore.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Friday.