Forecast issued at 4:45 am EST on Thursday 29 September 2016.
A weak ridge over southeastern Queensland will shift eastwards into southern waters tonight. A strong cold front will move rapidly eastwards across inland Queensland today, reaching southern waters in the early hours of Friday morning, moving further offshore during the day. A weak ridge of high pressure will develop over the area during the weekend.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Gold Coast Waters
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots increasing to 20 to 25 knots in the middle of the day, and to 25 to 30 knots during the afternoon and evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres around midday.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of rain from late this morning. The chance of a thunderstorm during this afternoon and evening.
Friday 30 September
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Gold Coast Waters
- Northwesterly 20 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots early in the morning. Winds tending westerly 15 to 25 knots during the morning and early afternoon.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning.
- Northeast to southeasterly around 1 metre.
- 60% chance of showers in the early morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning. Sunny afternoon.
Saturday 1 October
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots turning north to northwesterly during the day then tending west to northwesterly during the evening.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
- Northeast to southeasterly below 1 metre.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 3:50 pm EST Thursday.