Forecast issued at 3:50 pm EST on Wednesday 28 September 2016.
A weak ridge over southeastern Queensland will shift eastwards into southern waters tonight. A strong cold front will move rapidly eastwards across inland Queensland on Thursday, reaching southern waters late in the evening and moving further offshore on Friday.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Easterly 10 to 15 knots, reaching up to 20 knots offshore north of Point Lookout in the evening. Tending northeasterly in the late evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre later in the evening.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2 metres offshore.
- Mostly clear.
Thursday 29 September
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Gold Coast Waters
- Northerly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots during the day. Tending northwesterly 20 to 25 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening.
Friday 30 September
- Northwesterly 20 to 30 knots turning westerly 20 to 25 knots during the morning and early afternoon.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning.
- Northeast to southeasterly around 1 metre.
- 60% chance of showers in the morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning. Sunny afternoon.
Saturday 1 October
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots turning north to northwesterly during the day then tending west to northwesterly during the evening.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
- Northeast to southeasterly below 1 metre.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Thursday.