Forecast issued at 4:08 pm EST on Friday 24 March 2017.
A high pressure system near Tasmania extends a ridge into southern Queensland waters. As the high moves further east, and a low in the northwest Coral Sea strengthens over the next few days, the ridge will firm with freshening southeasterly winds likely, especially north of Fraser Island.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
- Southeasterly 10 to 15 knots, reaching up to 20 knots south of Point Lookout in the late evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres south of Point Lookout later in the evening.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres.
- 2nd Swell
- Northeasterly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Saturday 25 March
- Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots turning east to northeasterly below 10 knots in the evening then becoming east to southeasterly in the late evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers offshore north of Point Lookout, 30% chance elsewhere.
Sunday 26 March
- East to southeasterly below 10 knots becoming north to northwesterly in the morning then becoming northeasterly in the late afternoon.
- Below 1 metre.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower at night. The chance of a thunderstorm inshore in the afternoon and evening.
Monday 27 March
- East to northeasterly below 10 knots.
- Below 1 metre.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore, decreasing to around 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Saturday.