Forecast updated at 4:35 pm EST on Friday 27 May 2016.
A surface trough across the southeast interior to near Fraser Island will move further north over southern waters today and overnight. Fresh to strong and gusty westerly winds are expected following the passage of the trough. A high over central Australia will extend a ridge along the east coast of Queensland in the wake of the trough.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Gold Coast Waters
- Westerly 20 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots offshore in the evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres offshore.
- Northerly below 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy.
Saturday 28 May
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for Gold Coast Waters
- Southwesterly 15 to 25 knots turning westerly in the morning. Winds reaching up to 30 knots offshore in the evening.
- 1.5 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the afternoon.
- Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon.
Sunday 29 May
- West to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots during the morning, becoming variable about 10 knots during the afternoon then becoming south to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Southeasterly about 1 metre, increasing to southerly 1.5 to 2 metres offshore.
Monday 30 May
- South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots.
- Around 1 metre.
- Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres offshore.
- Mostly sunny.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Saturday.