Forecast issued at 4:08 pm EST on Wednesday 2 September 2015.
A weak high lies over the southwestern Coral Sea. A vigorous cold front will move rapidly east across inland Queensland today and Thursday, moving through southern waters later during Thursday afternoon.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Northerly about 10 knots increasing to 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre by early evening, then increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres later in the evening.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore, decreasing to around 1 metre later in the evening.
Thursday 3 September
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Gold Coast Waters
- Northerly 20 to 25 knots turning westerly 20 to 30 knots in the middle of the day.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of rain. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon.
Friday 4 September
- Southwesterly 15 to 25 knots turning south to southeasterly 20 to 30 knots in the late morning and early afternoon.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres offshore, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- 2nd Swell
- Easterly around 1 metre inshore, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres around midday.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower in the late morning and afternoon.
Saturday 5 September
- South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots tending east to southeasterly below 10 knots during the morning.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 2 to 3 metres offshore, tending southeasterly 2 to 2.5 metres during the afternoon.
- 2nd Swell
- Easterly 1 to 1.5 metres inshore, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Thursday.