Forecast updated at 4:22 pm EST on Friday 28 April 2017.
A slow moving high pressure system over the Great Australian Bight extends a firm ridge into southern Gulf of Carpentaria waters. The ridge will gradually relax from Sunday as the high shifts slowly east while weakening.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
- South to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots, increasing to 20 to 25 knots during the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1 to 2 metres inshore.
Saturday 29 April
- Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots, reaching 20 to 25 knots south of Kowanyama during the morning. Winds becoming southeast to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots in the late afternoon and evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1.5 metres around midday, then decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Mostly sunny.
Sunday 30 April
- South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots tending northeast to southeasterly in the morning then becoming variable about 10 knots in the late afternoon.
- Around 1 metre, decreasing below 1 metre by early evening.
Monday 1 May
- Southeast to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots tending northeast to southeasterly during the morning then becoming variable about 10 knots during the day.
- Below 1 metre.
- Mostly sunny.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:45 am EST Saturday.