Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Fire Weather Warning
for the Darling Downs and Granite Belt forecast district
Issued at 4:27 am EST on Sunday 26 October 2014.
A weak ridge extends along the Queensland coast and a broad area of low pressure extends through the interior of the state. Hot temperatures, combined with dry fresh and gusty winds are expected to cause Severe Fire Dangers in the Darling Downs and Granite Belt district today.
For the rest of Sunday 26 October:
Severe Fire Danger is forecast for the following forecast district:
Darling Downs and Granite Belt
The Rural Fire Service Queensland advises that fires may be unpredictable, uncontrollable and fast-moving.
The Rural Fire Service Queensland advises you to:
- Check your bushfire survival plan - Now.
- Monitor the fire and weather situation in any way you can through www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au and www.bom.gov.au, television or radio.
- Call Triple Zero if you see a fire.
The Rural Fire Service Queensland advises that if you are in an area of Severe Fire Danger:
- Leaving is the safest option for your survival.
- If you plan to leave finalise your options and leave early on the day.
- Only stay if your home is well prepared and well constructed and you can actively defend it.
- Prepare for the emotional, mental and physical impact of defending your property - if in doubt, leave early.
For information on Fire Bans and how to Prepare. Act. Survive. Visit the Rural Fire Service web page at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or call the hotline on 1800 020 440.
No further warnings will be issued for this event, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings issued if necessary.