Central Plateau District Forecast

View the current warnings for Tasmania

Forecast issued at 4:25 pm EST on Tuesday 25 July 2017.

Weather Situation

An area of low pressure lies near the south and southwest of Tasmania, maintaining a northwesterly stream. A cold front will cross Tasmania early Wednesday, with a southwesterly stream to follow, as the area of low pressure moves away to the east. A high to the north will extend a ridge over Tasmania early Thursday, with the ridge to track eastwards during the day allowing a northerly stream to develop. A cold front will cross Tasmania early Friday, followed by another ridge later in the day. Several fronts will cross Tasmania on Saturday, with a freshening northerly stream to tend westerly late.

Forecast for the rest of Tuesday

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers in the west, slight (20%) chance elsewhere. Snow falling above 1100 metres. Winds northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h.

Wednesday 26 July

Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers or snow, most likely in the morning. Winds west to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h turning southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h early in the morning then becoming light in the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between minus 2 and 3 above zero with daytime temperatures reaching between 2 and 7.

Sun protection not recommended, UV Index predicted to reach 1 [Low]

7 day Town Forecasts

Precis Icon Location Min Max
Showers easing. Bothwell 2 8
Showers or snow at times. Cradle Valley 2 3
Showers. Tarraleah 1 5

Thursday 27 July

Cloudy. Areas of frost in the early morning. Very high (90%) chance of rain in the west, medium (60%) chance elsewhere. Snow falling above 700 metres. Light winds becoming northerly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning then increasing to 25 to 35 km/h in the early afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to between minus 6 and minus 1 with daytime temperatures reaching between 4 and 9.

Friday 28 July

Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of rain in the west, medium (50%) chance elsewhere. Snow falling above 900 metres. Winds north to northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h turning westerly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning then tending northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between minus 2 and 3 above zero with daytime temperatures reaching between 5 and 10.

Saturday 29 July

Cloudy. Areas of morning frost. Very high (95%) chance of rain. Snow falling above 1200 metres. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h becoming northerly 30 to 45 km/h during the morning then turning west to northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between minus 4 and 1 above zero with daytime temperatures reaching between 6 and 11.

The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:40 am EST Wednesday.

Product IDT16060