- These maps are updated twice a day at approximately 6 am and 6 pm during the fire season. These maps may not reflect the latest official forecasts which can be updated at any time. Always use these maps together with the Bureau's warnings and weather forecasts and with Fire Danger Ratings issued by the Bureau of Meteorology. These maps are not available outside the fire season.
- The calculated FDI values are based on representative values of wind speed, temperature, humidity and fuel conditions for each 3 km grid square and do not take into account more local variations in topography and fuels. Local variations in elevation, slope, and aspect may cause the FDI values at a point location to be different from the values indicated by these graphical forecasts. These differences may also result in significant differences between the observed rates of spread of fires and the rates of spread calculated from these FDI forecasts.
- Striped patterns on the FDI maps are sometimes displayed when bands of stronger winds are forecast. These patterns are artefacts of processing the Maximum FDI from hourly forecasts of FDI.
- The Forest Fire Danger Index (FFDI) has been calculated using a Forest Fuel Drought Factor value (the same as the Forest Fuel Dryness Factor as shown in METEYE) calculated by the Bureau of Meteorology based on the Mount Soil Dryness Index. The Moorland Fire Danger Index (MFDI) was developed by the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service for the management of button grass moorlands. MFDI values are significantly reduced by rainfall within the previous 48 hours.
- You accept all risks and responsibility for losses, damages, costs and other consequences resulting directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
- FDI values are very sensitive to input values. To demonstrate how the FDI is affected by small changes in temperatures, humidity and wind speed, the table below shows the large range of MFDI and FFDI for a fixed Forest Fuel Drought Factor of 10, a 40°C temperature, 8% humidity and a wind change of just 3 kilometres per hour.
Scenario: Temperature = 40 °C +/- 1 °C Relative Humidity = 8 % +/- 2 % Wind Speed +/- 3 km/h
Central FDI Value MFDI range FFDI range 50 40–55 40–60 75 70–80 60–90 100 90–110 85–120 150 140–160 125–180