Forecast issued at 10:00 am EDT on Tuesday 1 December 2015.
A weak ridge of high pressure over Tasmania will move to the east this morning with a cold front to cross the state this afternoon. A low associated with this front will pass to the south of Tasmania early Wednesday, bringing a strong westerly flow, before a warm front crosses the state late Wednesday evening. A ridge will extend to the north of Tasmania on Thursday, then shift south over the state during Friday with a cold front to approach the southwest late.
Forecast for Tuesday until midnight
Small Craft Alert for Tuesday for South West Lakes
- Northwesterly 10 to 20 knots increasing to 15 to 25 knots around the middle of the day.
- Partly cloudy. 90% chance of showers in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the evening.
Wednesday 2 December
Small Craft Alert for Wednesday for South West Lakes
- Northwesterly 15 to 20 knots turning westerly before dawn. Winds may reach up to 25 knots at times.
- Cloudy. 90% chance of showers.
Thursday 3 December
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots turning northwesterly below 10 knots during the evening.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Friday 4 December
- West to northwesterly below 10 knots becoming southwesterly during the evening.
- Partly cloudy.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:05 pm EDT Tuesday.