Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for damaging winds, large hail and heavy rainfall
for the Pilbara, Gascoyne, Goldfields and South Interior forecast districts
Issued at 11:17 am WST on Friday 30 January 2015.
For people in parts of WA in an area bounded by Telfer to Carnegie to Leinster to Paynes Find to Gascoyne Junction to Errabiddy to Newman to Telfer. This includes people in, near or between the following towns: Meekatharra and Newman.
People are advised that there is a risk of SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS developing later this afternoon and evening.
Storms may be accompanied by
- DAMAGING WINDS
- LARGE HAIL and
- HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING
Storms could cause SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Store or weigh down loose objects such as outdoor furniture.
- Have an emergency kit with a battery operated radio, torch, spare batteries and first aid kit.
- Ensure pets and animals are in a safe area.
- Move vehicles under cover.
- Boat owners should securely moor their boats.
- Campers should find shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
The next warning will be issued by 2:15 pm WST Friday.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's web site at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.
The Bureau and Department of Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.