Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for damaging and locally destructive winds, large hail and heavy rainfall
for the Gascoyne, Goldfields, Central West and Central Wheat Belt forecast districts
Issued at 9:27 am WST on Thursday 27 November 2014.
For people in parts of WA in an area bounded by York to Billabong Roadhouse to Errabiddy to Wiluna to Kalgoorlie to Hyden to York. This includes people in, near or between the following towns: Dalwallinu, Northampton, Meekatharra and Southern Cross. This does not include York and Kalgoorlie.
People are advised that there is a risk of SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS developing early afternoon and continuing into this evening.
Storms may be accompanied by
- DANGEROUS WINDS
- LARGE HAIL
- HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING.
Storms could cause SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year, but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Store or weigh down loose objects such as outdoor furniture.
- Have an emergency kit with a battery operated radio, torch, spare batteries and first aid kit.
- Ensure pets and animals are in a safe area.
- Move vehicles under cover.
- Boat owners should securely moor their boats.
- Campers should find shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
The next warning will be issued by 12:30 pm WST Thursday.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's web site at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.
The Bureau and Department of Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.