Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for heavy rainfall
for the Pilbara, Gascoyne, Goldfields and South Interior forecast districts
Issued at 8:05 pm WST on Friday 6 December 2013.
For people in parts of WA in an area bounded by Cue to Tom Price to Cotton Creek to Carnegie to Laverton to Cue. This includes people in, near or between the following towns: Newman and Meekatharra.
People are advised that there is a risk of SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS this evening.
Storms may be accompanied by
- HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING.
Storms could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year, but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
- Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
- Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
- If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
- If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
- Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
- Slow down and turn your headlights on.
- Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
- If it is raining heavily and you can not see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.
The next warning will be issued by 11:15 pm WST Friday.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's web site at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.
The Bureau and Department of Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.