Monthly Water Update

small map representing the district Carpentaria Coast

Carpentaria Coast

September 2019 Summary

Rainfall was average or lower than average for most of the region. With a mean rainfall of 0.2 mm, it was the eighth lowest for September in the past 120 years.

Streamflows were average or lower than average for 75 per cent of the sites. Above average streamflows were recorded in the remaining 25 per cent of sites mainly in the east. Gregory River at Gregory Downs had the lowest streamflow for September since 1980.

Streamflows were fresh or higher for all three reporting sites, with median streamflow salinity (electrical conductivity) varying between sites from 41 to 640 μS/cm.

During September, the total accessible volume at Mount Isa (the only storage system in the area) decreased by two per cent. By the end of the month, the volume of water stored was 84 per cent of the total accessible capacity, no change from the previous year.

Select thumbnail for more information...

Rainfall

map visualising rainfall details

Streamflow

map visualising streamflow details

Streamflow salinity

map visualising salinity details

Water storages

map visualising storage details

Rainfall

map visualising rainfall details for Carpentaria Coast

Rainfall statistics

Rainfall decile group Percentage of area
Highest on record since 1900 0%
Very much above average 0%
Above average 2%
Average 38%
Below average 56%
Very much below average 4%
Lowest on record since 1900 0%

Data files are in zipped ASCII, CSV and text formats
File package size: 39Kb