The Water Act 2007
Under Part 7 of the Water Act 2007, the Bureau of Meteorology is required to collect, hold, manage, interpret and disseminate Australia's water information. Section 126 of the Act places an obligation on persons specified in the Regulations to give certain water information to the Bureau.
The Bureau's responsibilities under the Water Act 2007 include:
- issuing national water information standards
- collecting and publishing water information
- conducting regular national water resources assessments
- publishing an annual National Water Account
- providing regular water availability forecasts
- giving advice on matters relating to water information
- enhancing understanding of Australia's water resources.