The Bureau of Meteorology’s Water Restrictions website provides access to current water restrictions information for the whole of Australia. Water restrictions information can be searched by State or Territory, water agency and restriction name. Water restriction names and rules vary throughout Australia due to local requirements.
Gardens and lawns
Applies to private gardens, public gardens, sports grounds/recreational areas:
- Use a hand-held hose with a trigger nozzle, watering can or bucket to water gardens or
lawns at any time, any day.
- A sprinkler, micro spray, drip system or any other watering system can only be used
before 10am and after 5pm — use the Odds and Evens watering system.
- All automatic watering systems must have a rain sensor or soil moisture sensor as part of their control system.
Vehicles - Hoses used to clean a vehicle by hand must be fitted with a flow shut-off device.
Paved areas can only be cleaned using water from a hose:
- in the event of an accident, fire, health or safety hazard, or other emergency; or
- if the paved area is under construction or renovation.
Construction industry - Hoses must be fitted with flow shut-off devices.
Fountains - Fountains not recirculating water must not operate.