Seasonal Streamflow Forecasts
Monthly streamflow boxplot for Barron River at Picnic Crossing
Return to catchment list
Product list for Barron River at Picnic Crossing
About the monthly streamflow boxplot
- The monthly observed streamflow data for the last 12 months is represented by the pink dots and is joined by a dotted line.
- This boxplot represents the monthly streamflow historical data. The time period of the historical data used is given in the legend e.g. Jan 1959 - Dec 2009.
- A boxplot is also known as a box-and-whisker diagram. The box extends from the 25th percentile (lower quartile) to the 75th percentile (upper quartile), with a line at the median (50th percentile).
- The distance of the 75th percentile minus the 25th percentile is the Interquartile Range (IQR) , which is the height of each box.
- The whiskers extend from the box and are represented by the bottom and top bars at the end of the blue dotted lines. The value of the top whisker is the highest data value still within the 75th percentile value plus 1.5 multiplied by IQR. The value of the bottom whisker is the lowest data value still within the 25th percentile value minus 1.5 multiplied by IQR.
- The plus (+) symbols represent outliers. Outliers are data points that fall outside of the range of whiskers.
- The recent observed data is from realtime data sources which has not been rigorously quality controlled.
- The historical data used to generate the boxplot is archive quality data sourced from the data owner.
- Further explanation of some technical terms is provided under the FAQ.
Unless otherwise noted, all material on this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Australia Licence