Forecast issued at 4:05 pm EDT on Wednesday 7 December 2016.
South to southeasterly winds along the New South Wales coast will shift north to northeasterly today as a high pressure system moves over the Tasman Sea extending a ridge to the north coast. On Thursday evening a cold front is expected to bring a gusty southerly change to the south coast, reaching central parts of the coast early Friday morning and extending to the far north coast Friday afternoon. A high pressure system will extend a ridge along the coast in the wake of this change on Friday.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Southerly 10 to 15 knots, reaching up to 20 knots north of Coffs Harbour in the evening. Winds turning southeasterly in the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Northeasterly around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 50% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Thursday 8 December
- Variable about 10 knots becoming north to northeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the middle of the day. Winds reaching up to 25 knots south of Coffs Harbour during the afternoon and evening.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon.
- Southerly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening.
Friday 9 December
- North to northwesterly 15 to 25 knots ahead of south to southeasterly change 20 to 30 knots about the late morning.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- North to northeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers in the morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning.
Saturday 10 December
- Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots tending east to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the afternoon.
- Around 1 metre.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the morning.
- Cloudy. 20% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:10 am EDT Thursday.