Forecast issued at 10:20 pm EDT on Thursday 18 December 2014.
A weak high is off the New South Wales coast and a cold front is moving through Bass Strait. This cold front is expected to reach the south coast tonight, and the far north coast Friday afternoon or evening. It will bring a vigorous southerly airstream initially but is likely to ease later in the day. High pressure is then expected to become established off the coast again during Saturday with a ridge north to the Queensland coast. The high will remain over the Tasman Sea for a number of days with east to northeasterly winds along the coast persisting through much of next week.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- Northerly 10 to 15 knots, reaching up to 20 knots offshore north of Coffs Harbour in the late evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
- Southeasterly around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 30% chance of a shower. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Friday 19 December
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Coffs Coast
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots shifting southerly 15 to 25 knots in the morning. Winds reaching up to 30 knots during the afternoon and evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the morning.
- East to southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, tending east to northeasterly around 1 metre during the morning.
Saturday 20 December
- South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots tending east to southeasterly below 10 knots in the afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- Southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres, tending southerly 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of a shower.
Sunday 21 December
- Northeast to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots tending northeasterly during the afternoon.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Southerly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of a shower. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:10 am EDT Friday.