Forecast issued at 10:00 pm EDT on Thursday 19 January 2017.
A high pressure system over the southern Tasman Sea with a ridge to the north is directing north to northeasterly winds along the New South Wales coast. Later on Friday a cold front with an associated low to the south will bring a southerly change along the south coast extending to Sydney Waters overnight and to the far north coast Saturday morning. Winds are expected to turn back to north northeasterly during Sunday as a high pressure system moves east of Tasmania extending a ridge along the coast.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- East to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots.
- Around 1 metre.
- Southerly 2 to 2.5 metres.
Friday 20 January
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Hunter Coast
- North to northeasterly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots during the day. Winds turning northwesterly 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 95% chance of showers. The chance of a gusty thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening.
Saturday 21 January
- Northwest to southwesterly 15 to 25 knots tending southerly 20 to 30 knots before dawn then decreasing to 15 to 25 knots in the morning.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning, then decreasing to 1 to 2 metres around midday.
- Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 2 to 4 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of a shower north of Norah Head, near zero chance elsewhere.
Sunday 22 January
- Southeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning east to northeasterly during the afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- Southerly 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 2 metres during the morning.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:10 am EDT Friday.