Forecast issued at 4:10 am EST on Friday 27 May 2016.
A low pressure system in the western Tasman Sea is deepening while a cold front associated with the low lies over the far north coast and is moving northeast. Strong northwesterly winds are forecast ahead of the front, and strong west to southwest winds in the wake of the front, reaching gale force over over southern waters. Westerly winds will ease by Saturday morning as the low moves further east, only to strengthen again and shift southwesterly from Saturday afternoon as the next front moves through.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Illawarra Coast
- Westerly 20 to 30 knots, increasing to 25 to 30 knots during the day.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 3 metres offshore.
- Southerly 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres reaching up to 4 metres offshore from the afternoon.
- Mostly sunny. 30% chance of a shower offshore south of Point Perpendicular, near zero chance elsewhere.
Saturday 28 May
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for Illawarra Coast
- Westerly 15 to 25 knots turning southwesterly in the early afternoon. Winds reaching up to 30 knots offshore early in the morning and again in the late evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres around midday.
- Southerly 2 to 3 metres, reaching up to 4 metres offshore during the morning.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm from the late morning.
Sunday 29 May
- Southwesterly 20 to 30 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots during the morning then turning westerly 10 to 15 knots during the evening.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the afternoon or evening.
- Southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- Mostly sunny. 30% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:05 pm EST Friday.