Forecast issued at 4:06 pm EDT on Friday 24 October 2014.
A high pressure system over the Tasman Sea extends a ridge towards eastern Queensland, and is directing generally fresh northerly winds along the New South Wales coast. A trough is forecast to bring a southerly change to southern and central parts of the coast during Saturday before stalling and decaying. A brief return to northerly winds will precede the next trough and southerly change, expected for southern and central coasts on Monday.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Macquarie Coast
- Northeasterly 20 to 30 knots tending northerly 25 to 30 knots in the late evening.
- 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres south of Port Macquarie.
- Easterly below 1 metre.
- Mostly clear.
Saturday 25 October
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for Macquarie Coast
- Northerly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots in the morning. Winds becoming northerly 10 to 15 knots in the late evening.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning, then decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Easterly below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning, then tending northeasterly 1.5 to 2 metres around midday.
Sunday 26 October
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots increasing to 15 to 25 knots in the early afternoon.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres around midday.
- Northeasterly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore.
- Mostly sunny.
Monday 27 October
- Northerly 15 to 25 knots shifting south to southwesterly below 10 knots during the evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- North to northeasterly around 1 metre.
- Mostly sunny. 20% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:10 am EDT Saturday.