Forecast issued at 4:45 am EST on Friday 26 August 2016.
A large high over South Australia extends a strengthening ridge along the tropical east coast.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
- South to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres outside the reef during the morning.
- Southeasterly below 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 40% chance of showers.
Saturday 27 August
- Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots, reaching 20 to 25 knots north of Cairns.
- 1 to 2 metres.
- Southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres outside the reef.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower offshore north of Cairns, near zero chance elsewhere.
Sunday 28 August
- Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres outside the reef.
- Southeasterly 1 to 1.5 metres outside the reef, decreasing to around 1 metre during the evening.
- Mostly sunny.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 3:50 pm EST Friday.