Forecast issued at 10:00 am EST on Friday 12 February 2016.
A slow-moving surface trough\ lies over northern Peninsula waters, with a fresh south to southeasterly wind flow extending over areas to its south. The trough extends through the northern Coral Sea to tropical cyclone Tatiana in the the central Coral Sea. Tropical cyclone Tatiana is expected to remain well offshore from the Queensland coast whilst moving south-southeast over the next few days.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
- East to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots, with inshore afternoon east to northeasterly sea breezes.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1 to 2 metres outside the reef.
- Below 0.5 metres.
- Mostly sunny. 20% chance of a shower.
Saturday 13 February
- South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots, with inshore afternoon east to northeasterly sea breezes. Winds reaching up to 20 knots south of Townsville.
- 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Easterly below 1 metre.
- Mostly sunny. 30% chance of a shower.
Sunday 14 February
- South to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots tending northeast to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the morning.
- East to northeasterly below 1 metre.
- Mostly sunny.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 3:50 pm EST Friday.