Forecast issued at 5:00 am EDT on Friday 20 January 2017.
A low is expected to pass through Bass Strait this morning and intensify near Flinders Island today, before moving away to the east in the evening. A westerly stream will follow on Saturday, as a high over the Bight extends a ridge to the north of Tasmania. The high will move to the east of the state during Sunday, with a northerly flow to develop that will persist through Monday.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
- East to southeasterly below 10 knots tending southeast to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots in the morning then tending southwesterly in the late evening.
- Cloudy. 95% chance of rain.
Saturday 21 January
- West to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots decreasing to about 10 knots in the early afternoon.
- Partly cloudy.
Sunday 22 January
- West to northwesterly below 10 knots.
Monday 23 January
- Northwesterly about 10 knots increasing to 10 to 15 knots during the evening.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:05 pm EDT Friday.