Forecast issued at 4:25 pm EDT on Thursday 30 October 2014.
A weak cold front over Tasmania will dissipate this evening while a high pressure ridge to the north weakens. A trough and cold front will move into the western Bight overnight, then approach during Friday as an associated low to the south deepens, bringing a north to northwesterly flow. The trough will then cross Tasmania overnight, followed by the front on Saturday morning, bringing a cold westerly change. A second low is expected to pass to the south of the state early on Sunday, maintaining cold and windy conditions, before the approach of a high from the west during the day results in the southwesterly flow gradually moderating.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots, reaching up to 25 knots inshore east of Devonport in the early evening.
- 1 to 2 metres.
- Westerly below 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy.
Friday 31 October
- West to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning north to northeasterly 10 to 20 knots in the late morning and early afternoon.
- Up to 1.5 metres.
- Mainly westerly below 1 metre.
- Mostly cloudy. 40% chance of showers.
Saturday 1 November
- Northerly 20 to 25 knots turning westerly 25 to 35 knots before dawn.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 4 metres during the morning.
- Westerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres around midday.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers.
Sunday 2 November
- West to southwesterly 25 to 35 knots.
- 2.5 to 4 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the afternoon.
- Westerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.
- Mostly sunny. 30% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:00 am EDT Friday.