Forecast updated at 1:37 am EST on Monday 25 July 2016.
A trough crosses the state this morning with a weak cold front to quickly follow. A more significant cold front will cross Tasmania this evening, with a deep low to pass just to the south of the state early on Tuesday. Another cold front and low will reach the west coast on Tuesday night, crossing the state overnight into Wednesday. A westerly flow will persist over Tasmania during Wednesday and Thursday, with a warm front embedded in the flow to cross Wednesday afternoon.
Forecast for Monday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Monday for Channel
- North to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots tending northwest to northeasterly 15 to 25 knots in the evening then becoming northwesterly 25 to 30 knots in the late evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre by early evening.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Tuesday 26 July
- Northwesterly 25 to 30 knots turning westerly 15 to 25 knots during the morning.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Partly cloudy. 95% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the south during the morning.
Wednesday 27 July
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots turning northwesterly during the afternoon.
- Around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 90% chance of showers.
Thursday 28 July
- Northwesterly 15 to 20 knots.
- Below 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 60% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:05 pm EST Monday.