No warnings for Tasmania
Forecast issued at 4:15 pm EDT on Monday 22 December 2014.
A high over the Tasman slowly moves east, directing a humid northeasterly airstream over Tasmania. A broad trough over the mainland extends over Tasmania today before moving to the east of the state later Tuesday and becoming almost stationary on Wednesday. A cold front will then cross Tuesday afternoon with a cooler westerly airstream to follow. The airstream tends northwesterly on Thursday as another cold front approaches Tasmania, crossing early Friday with a weak ridge to follow that afternoon.
Forecast for Monday until midnight
- Northeasterly 15 to 20 knots decreasing to about 10 knots in the late evening.
- Around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 50% chance of showers.
Tuesday 23 December
- Variable about 10 knots becoming southerly 15 to 20 knots in the middle of the day then turning west to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots in the late evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres around midday.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of showers in the morning and afternoon.
Wednesday 24 December
- West to southwesterly about 10 knots tending east to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots in the middle of the day then tending east to northeasterly in the late afternoon.
- Below 1 metre, decreasing to 0.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to around 1 metre around midday.
- Partly cloudy.
Thursday 25 December
- Variable about 10 knots becoming southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the morning then tending southerly during the evening.
- Below 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers.
Friday 26 December
- Southerly 10 to 15 knots tending southwesterly 20 to 30 knots during the morning then tending westerly 10 to 15 knots during the evening.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:00 am EDT Tuesday.