Forecast issued at 5:01 am EDT on Sunday 26 October 2014.
A trough lies over Bass Strait while a high is centred just south of Tasmania. The high will move away to the southeast early today with the trough to linger about the north. Another trough extending from the mainland is expected to lie near King Island tonight, linked to a cold front which will approach from the west. Both features will cross Tasmania early Monday, with the associated complex low to remain well southwest of the state. Another front embedded in a strong westerly stream is expected late on Monday, with the lows tracking eastwards during Tuesday, and yet another front embedded in the cold airflow during the afternoon. A high over the Bight will track slowly eastwards to be near Adelaide on Wednesday, while a weak warm front passes south of Tasmania.
Forecast for Sunday until midnight
- Northeasterly about 10 knots increasing to 15 to 25 knots in the morning.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Monday 27 October
Strong Wind Warning for Monday for Storm Bay
- Northwest to northeasterly 15 to 25 knots tending west to southwesterly 25 to 30 knots in the early afternoon then northwest to southwesterly 15 to 25 knots in the late afternoon.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 2.5 metres around midday.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of showers, with possible hail in the afternoon.
Tuesday 28 October
- Northwesterly 20 to 30 knots turning west to southwesterly 25 to 35 knots during the afternoon.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres during the afternoon or evening.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers.
Wednesday 29 October
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the morning.
- Cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:05 pm EDT Sunday.