Forecast issued at 10:07 pm EST on Tuesday 28 June 2016.
A high pressure system over New South Wales extends a ridge southwards across Victoria. The high will move slowly east on Wednesday as a strong cold front develops over the Bight. The front will enter western Bass Strait around dawn on Thursday then reach Port Phillip Heads around mid afternoon and the far east of the strait by midnight. Another high pressure system develops over the Bight on Friday and move over South Australia on Saturday.
Forecast for Tuesday until midnight
- Northwesterly 20 to 25 knots.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres.
- Southwesterly 2 to 2.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 4 metres in the west.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers offshore, 50% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore late this afternoon and evening.
Wednesday 29 June
Strong Wind Warning for Wednesday for Central Coast
- Northwesterly 20 to 25 knots turning northerly in the late morning and afternoon and increasing to 20 to 30 knots during the evening.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- West to southwesterly 2 to 3 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers offshore, 30% chance elsewhere.
Thursday 30 June
- North to northwesterly 25 to 35 knots, reaching 40 knots in the south, shifting west to southwesterly 30 to 35 knots during the afternoon and early evening.
- 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 4 metres offshore.
- Westerly 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 2 to 4 metres in the west.
- Cloudy. 90% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the late afternoon and evening. Possible hail in the late afternoon and evening.
Friday 1 July
- Westerly 20 to 30 knots.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- Westerly 2.5 to 3 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 4 metres in the west.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EST Wednesday.