Forecast issued at 4:40 pm EDT on Thursday 30 March 2017.
A high pressure system over the Bight will extend a ridge eastwards over Victoria and Bass Strait tonight. The ridge will drift northwards on Friday as a cold front approaches from the west. The front will cross Bass Strait Saturday morning and early afternoon, leaving a fresh southwesterly in its wake. Winds will tend more southerly on Sunday as the high drifts towards Tasmania. The high will then move slowly eastwards across Tasmania during Monday.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- South to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots.
- 1.5 metres.
- Southwesterly 2.5 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 5 metres in the west.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.
Friday 31 March
- South to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning westerly during the morning then increasing to 15 to 20 knots offshore in the late afternoon and evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the morning, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres in the west during the afternoon.
- Southwesterly 2.5 to 4 metres, decreasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Cloudy. 40% chance of light showers.
Saturday 1 April
- Northwesterly 20 to 25 knots, locally 30 knots offshore turning southwesterly 20 to 30 knots during the morning then decreasing to 20 to 25 knots in the afternoon.
- 1 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Southwesterly 1.5 to 2.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 4 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Sunday 2 April
- South to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning southeasterly during the day.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the morning.
- Southwesterly 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 5 metres in the far west.
- Cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EDT Friday.