Forecast issued at 5:10 am EST on Monday 25 July 2016.
A strong cold over the Bight will move rapidly east to reach Portland around 1500, Wilsons Promontory around 1900 and Mallacoota around 2300. Another front should move across Victoria early on Wednesday as a high pressure system over Western Australia tracks over South Australia. The high will then move slowly east across southern New South Wales on Thursday and Friday.
Forecast for Monday until midnight
Gale Warning for Monday for East Gippsland Coast
- West to northwesterly 20 to 30 knots tending northwesterly 25 to 35 knots during the evening. Winds shifting west to northwesterly 30 to 40 knots during the late evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, increasing to 3 to 5 metres during the morning.
- Southerly 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers offshore, 30% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm. Possible hail offshore this morning.
Tuesday 26 July
Gale Warning for Tuesday for East Gippsland Coast
- Westerly 25 to 40 knots turning northwesterly 20 to 30 knots in the evening.
- 3 to 5 metres, decreasing to 2 to 3 metres during the afternoon.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- 2nd Swell
- Northeasterly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers offshore, 20% chance elsewhere. The chance of a thunderstorm offshore in the early morning. Possible hail.
Wednesday 27 July
- Northwesterly 20 to 30 knots turning westerly 25 to 30 knots during the morning.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- Southerly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres in the east during the afternoon.
- Cloudy. 40% chance of showers, with possible hail in the morning.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Monday.