Forecast issued at 4:40 pm EDT on Monday 16 January 2017.
A high pressure system over the Tasman Sea will move slowly eastwards tonight as a cold front and associated low pressure trough cross the Bight. The trough will cross western and central Victorian coastal waters Tuesday afternoon, then will cross eastern waters early Wednesday as a weak front passes to the south. The next high pressure system will pass to the south of Tasmania on Thursday. Another low pressure trough is expected to cross Bass Strait on Friday, with a low pressure centre expected to develop along the trough as it moves eastwards across Victoria.
Forecast for Monday until midnight
- Variable winds to 10 knots offshore at first. Southeast to northeast winds 10 to 15 knots elsewhere tending north to northeasterly this evening and locally reaching 20 knots offshore.
- Below 1 metre.
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres in the far east.
Tuesday 17 January
- North to northwesterly 10 to 20 knots, reaching up to 25 knots in the far east early in the morning. Winds tending northeast to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots in the late afternoon then tending northwest to northeasterly in the late evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1 metre around midday.
- 1st Swell
- Southerly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing to around 1 metre during the morning.
- 2nd Swell
- North to northeasterly below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres in the east during the morning.
- Partly cloudy.
Wednesday 18 January
- West to southwesterly 15 to 25 knots extending throughout early morning then becoming southwesterly 25 to 30 knots by dawn then decreasing to 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- 1st Swell
- South to southwesterly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning, then tending southwesterly 1.5 to 2 metres by early evening.
- 2nd Swell
- Northeasterly around 1 metre.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of rain in the west, 20% chance elsewhere.
Thursday 19 January
- Variable about 10 knots becoming east to northeasterly 15 to 25 knots during the day.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon or evening.
- Southwesterly 1.5 to 2 metres, tending southerly 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of rain.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EDT Tuesday.