Forecast issued at 10:45 am EST on Wednesday 29 June 2016.
A high pressure system over New South Wales extends a ridge southwards across Victoria. The high will move slowly east today as a strong cold front develops over the Bight. The front will cross the State on Thursday, while another high pressure system develops over the Bight on Friday and moves over South Australia on Saturday.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Westerly 10 to 15 knots, reaching up to 20 knots offshore in the late morning and early afternoon. Becoming variable about 10 knots in the late afternoon then becoming north to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the afternoon.
- Southwesterly 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre later in the evening.
- Mostly sunny. 20% chance of a shower offshore, near zero chance elsewhere.
Thursday 30 June
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for East Gippsland Coast
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots tending northwesterly 15 to 25 knots before dawn then increasing to 20 to 30 knots during the afternoon. Winds tending westerly 20 to 30 knots in the late evening.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- 1st Swell
- Northeasterly below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore during the morning.
- 2nd Swell
- West to southwesterly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres in the far west.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the west at night. Possible hail in the far west at night.
Friday 1 July
- Westerly 25 to 35 knots.
- 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 4 metres offshore.
- West to southwesterly around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Wednesday.