Forecast issued at 10:24 am EST on Tuesday 30 August 2016.
A high pressure system is over the Tasman Sea. A low pressure system south of the Bight will weaken on Tuesday, but an associated trough will approach western Victoria Tuesday night and move across Bass Strait on Wednesday. On Thursday a weak high pressure ridge is expected to extend over Victoria and Bass Strait as another low pressure system develops near Central Australia. This low is expected to intensify as it drifts southeastwards across New South Wales on Friday.
Forecast for Tuesday until midnight
- North to northwesterly below 10 knots becoming northeasterly in the middle of the day then increasing to 10 to 15 knots in the early afternoon.
- Cloudy. 50% chance of rain.
Wednesday 31 August
- Variable about 10 knots.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of rain. The chance of a thunderstorm in the late morning and afternoon.
Thursday 1 September
- West to northwesterly about 10 knots becoming east to southeasterly during the afternoon.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers.
Friday 2 September
- Variable about 10 knots becoming southeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the day.
- Cloudy. 80% chance of rain.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Tuesday.