Forecast issued at 11:05 am EST on Tuesday 3 May 2016.
A cold front will move across Bass Strait today with vigorous northerly winds shifting westerly. Winds will ease on Wednesday, then another cold front is expected to move into the Bight on Thursday and will reach western Victorian coastal waters Thursday night. The front will weaken as it crosses the remaining waters on Friday.
Forecast for Tuesday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Tuesday for Gippsland Lakes
- Northwesterly 20 to 30 knots turning westerly during the early evening, then decreasing to 15 to 20 knots later in the evening.
- Becoming cloudy. 60% chance of showers.
Wednesday 4 May
- West to northwesterly 15 to 20 knots decreasing to about 10 knots in the middle of the day then tending northerly in the evening.
- Mostly sunny.
Thursday 5 May
- Northerly about 10 knots.
Friday 6 May
- Northwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning west to southwesterly below 10 knots during the morning then becoming variable during the day.
- Partly cloudy.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Tuesday.