Forecast issued at 10:36 am EST on Friday 1 August 2014.
A strong cold front is now east of Gabo Island, while, a deep low pressure system is passing just south of Tasmania this evening. Another cold front will move from the Southern Ocean to cross Bass Strait on Friday with a very cold southwest to southerly airflow extending over the Strait. The next high pressure system will then rapidly approach from the Bight, reaching western Bass Strait late on Saturday. A high pressure ridge will extend across northern Victoria on Sunday and Monday, with high pressure centres located in the Bight and the Tasman Sea.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Gippsland Lakes
- Northwesterly 15 to 20 knots tending westerly 20 to 30 knots in the middle of the day then decreasing to 15 to 20 knots in the late evening.
- The chance of thunderstorms from the late morning until this evening with possible hail.
Saturday 2 August
- West to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots tending west to northwesterly below 10 knots in the evening.
Sunday 3 August
- West to northwesterly about 10 knots becoming east to southeasterly during the afternoon then becoming north to northeasterly during the evening.
Monday 4 August
- West to northwesterly below 10 knots.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Friday.