Forecast issued at 4:40 pm EDT on Tuesday 28 March 2017.
A ridge of high pressure will persist across Victoria tonight. A cold front approaching from the west is expected near Portland 1300hrs Wednesday, Cape Otway 1500hrs, Port Phillip Heads 1800hrs, Wilsons Promontory 1900hrs, Lakes Entrance 2300hrs and Gabo Island 0300 hrs Thursday. A fresh southwesterly airflow will follow across Bass Strait on Thursday. A weak ridge of high pressure will extend over northern Victoria on Friday, then a weak cold front will pass across Bass Strait on Saturday.
Forecast for Tuesday until midnight
- East to northeasterly about 10 knots.
Wednesday 29 March
Strong Wind Warning for Wednesday for Gippsland Lakes
- Variable about 10 knots. A southwesterly change 20 to 30 knots in the late evening.
- Sunny day. 20% chance of a shower in the evening.
Thursday 30 March
- Southwesterly 15 to 20 knots becoming variable about 10 knots in the morning then becoming southerly 15 to 20 knots in the early afternoon.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Friday 31 March
- West to northwesterly about 10 knots becoming southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the afternoon then becoming variable below 10 knots during the evening.
- Partly cloudy.
Saturday 1 April
- West to northwesterly about 10 knots tending southwesterly 15 to 20 knots during the afternoon.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EDT Wednesday.