Forecast issued at 10:49 pm EDT on Wednesday 4 December 2013.
A vigorous cold front over eastern Bass Strait will move to the Tasman Sea this evening as an associated low pressure system passes to the south of Tasmania. A cold and vigorous southwesterly airflow will affect Victorian coastal waters in the wake of the front on Thursday. The next high pressure system will move across the Bight to be over southwest Victoria by late Friday before moving to the Tasman Sea on Saturday. The next trough and associated cold front will cross the Bight late Saturday and early Sunday to reach western Bass Strait later Sunday afternoon.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Southwesterly 15 to 20 knots turning westerly 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres.
Thursday 5 December
Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Port Phillip
- Westerly 15 to 25 knots increasing up to 30 knots ahead of a southwesterly change of 20 to 30 knots in the late morning. Southwesterly winds easing to 15 to 25 knots in the late evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning.
- The chance of thunderstorms with squally winds and possible hail.
Friday 6 December
- Southwesterly 20 to 25 knots, decreasing to 10 to 15 knots in the middle of the day.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
Saturday 7 December
- Westerly 5 to 10 knots tending variable 5 to 10 knots during the morning. Bayside seabreezes to 10 knots developing from midday, with winds then tending south to southeasterly at 10 to 15 knots later in the afternoon. Winds then tending east to southeasterly around 10 knots during the evening.
- Below 1 metre.
Sunday 8 December
- Northerly 25 to 30 knots easing to 15 to 20 knots during the afternoon then shifting southerly during the evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EDT Thursday.