Forecast issued at 5:10 am EST on Wednesday 1 October 2014.
A high pressure system is drifting eastwards over Bight waters today, but will remain to the west of Victoria during Thursday as another cold front crosses Tasmania and East Bass Strait early Thursday morning. The high will then drift across Victoria on Friday, reaching the Tasman Sea Saturday. A weak cold front will enter west Bass Strait Saturday afternoon and reach central Bass Strait Saturday night.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Wednesday for Port Phillip
- Southwesterly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots in the south early in the morning. Winds tending westerly 10 to 15 knots in the late evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the morning.
Thursday 2 October
- Westerly 15 to 20 knots turning southwesterly in the middle of the day.
- Around 1 metre.
Friday 3 October
- Variable about 10 knots.
- Below 1 metre.
Saturday 4 October
- Northerly 15 to 20 knots shifting west to southwesterly during the evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Wednesday.