Forecast issued at 5:10 am EST on Saturday 1 October 2016.
A low pressure system centred just to the west of Tasmania will drift southeastward as a ridge develops over western Victoria. A cold front is expected to reach western waters late Sunday afternoon, crossing the remainder of the Strait Sunday night and early Monday, with another cold front crossing the Strait on Tuesday.
Forecast for Saturday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for West Coast
- West to southwesterly 20 to 30 knots. Turning north to northwesterly 15 to 20 knots in the evening.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2 metres by early evening.
- Southwesterly 2 to 2.5 metres.
- Cloudy. 40% chance of showers.
Sunday 2 October
Strong Wind Warning for Sunday for West Coast
- North to northeasterly 20 to 30 knots turning northwesterly during the afternoon and evening.
- 2 to 3 metres.
- Southwesterly 1.5 to 2 metres, decreasing to 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the afternoon.
- Cloudy. 90% chance of rain.
Monday 3 October
- Northwesterly 25 to 35 knots turning westerly 30 to 40 knots during the afternoon.
- 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres during the morning.
- Westerly 3 to 5 metres, increasing to 5 to 7 metres during the afternoon or evening.
- Partly cloudy. 80% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm during the day.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Saturday.