Forecast issued at 4:40 pm EDT on Thursday 30 March 2017.
A high pressure system over the Bight will extend a ridge eastwards over Victoria and Bass Strait tonight. The ridge will drift northwards on Friday as a cold front approaches from the west. The front will cross Bass Strait Saturday morning and early afternoon, leaving a fresh southwesterly in its wake. Winds will tend more southerly on Sunday as the high drifts towards Tasmania. The high will then move slowly eastwards across Tasmania during Monday.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- Southwesterly15 to 20 knots easing to 10 to 15 knots this evening and tending more southerly.
- 1 to 1.5 metres.
- Southwesterly 5 to 6 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of a shower.
Friday 31 March
- Southwesterly about 10 knots becoming west to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots during the morning then increasing to 15 to 20 knots during the afternoon. Winds further increasing to 20 to 25 knots during the evening.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres around midday.
- Southwesterly 3 to 5 metres, decreasing to 2.5 to 3 metres during the afternoon.
- Cloudy. 60% chance of light showers.
Saturday 1 April
- Westerly 20 to 25 knots tending southwesterly 25 to 30 knots early in the morning then decreasing to 20 to 25 knots around midday and further decreasing to 15 to 20 knots during the late afternoon and evening.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the afternoon.
- Southwesterly 2.5 to 3 metres, increasing to 4 to 6 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 60% chance of showers.
Sunday 2 April
- South to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots tending south to southeasterly during the morning.
- Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres in the far east.
- Southwesterly 4 to 6 metres, decreasing to 3 to 4 metres during the afternoon.
- Cloudy. 40% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EDT Friday.