Forecast issued at 4:40 pm EDT on Wednesday 22 October 2014.
A low pressure trough is expected near Port Phillip Heads at 1900hrs, Wilsons Promontory around 2200 hrs then weakening as it moves over eastern Bass Strait early Thursday. The next high pressure system will pass just south of Tasmania on Thursday, reaching the south Tasman Sea on Friday. Another low pressure trough will enter western Victorian coastal waters Friday afternoon, clearing eastern waters early Saturday as another high pressure system rapidly approaches Tasmania. This high will also move rapidly over the southern Tasman Sea on Sunday and a cold front will cross Bight waters to reach western Victoria Sunday night.
Forecast for Wednesday until midnight
- Northeasterly below 10 knots becoming south to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots in the evening.
- Below 0.5 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower. The chance of a thunderstorm.
Thursday 23 October
- Southwesterly 10 to 15 knots shifting east to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon and locally reaching 25 knots in the south.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre around midday, then increasing to 1 to 2 metres in the south later in the afternoon.
- Cloudy. 40% chance of drizzle in the morning.
Friday 24 October
- Easterly 15 to 20 knots becoming variable about 10 knots in the morning then becoming south to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 2 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 20% chance of rain.
Saturday 25 October
- South to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning east to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the evening.
- Around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 30% chance of morning drizzle.
Sunday 26 October
- Easterly 15 to 25 knots tending east to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the morning then turning northeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. The chance of a thunderstorm with little or no rainfall in the evening.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:10 am EDT Thursday.