Forecast issued at 5:10 am EST on Sunday 25 September 2016.
A cold front located near Wilsons Promontory at 0400hrs is forecast near Lakes Entrance at 0800hrs, Gabo Island at 1200hrs. Another weak front will cross Bass Strait Monday night and early Tuesday, then a weak ridge of high pressure will move across inland Victoria. The next low pressure trough is forecast to cross the Bight during Wednesday with a low forming on the trough to the southwest of Victoria then intensifying on Wednesday night.
Forecast for Sunday until midnight
- West to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots decreasing to about 10 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre by early evening.
- Partly cloudy. 50% chance of showers this morning.
Monday 26 September
- West to southwesterly below 10 knots becoming north to northwesterly before dawn.
- Below 0.5 metres.
- Partly cloudy. 70% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the evening.
Tuesday 27 September
- West to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots decreasing to about 10 knots during the afternoon.
- Around 1 metre.
- Cloudy. 50% chance of showers.
Wednesday 28 September
- North to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots turning east to northeasterly during the evening.
- Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre west of Sandy Point during the evening.
- Mostly sunny. 20% chance of a shower.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:40 pm EST Sunday.