Forecast issued at 10:00 am WST on Friday 6 May 2016.
A moderate cold front is expected to reach the southwest corner of the State on Friday evening as an associated low pressure system develops over southern waters during Saturday. The low will deepen over the weekend as it moves quickly towards the east, as a ridge of high pressure develops in it's wake during Sunday and Monday.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Leeuwin Coast
- Northwesterly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots in the late afternoon. Winds turning southwesterly 20 to 25 knots in the evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 2 to 2.5 metres around midday.
- Southwesterly 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres offshore east of Cape Leeuwin.
- Cloudy. 95% chance of showers. A thunderstorm likely in the afternoon and evening.
Saturday 7 May
Gale Warning for Saturday for Leeuwin Coast
- Southwesterly 20 to 25 knots tending southerly 25 to 30 knots before dawn then decreasing to 20 to 25 knots in the evening. Winds reaching up to 35 knots east of Cape Leeuwin during the morning and early afternoon.
- 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 2 to 4 metres offshore east of Cape Leeuwin during the morning.
- Southwesterly 3 to 4 metres, tending southerly during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 90% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning.
Sunday 8 May
- Southerly 20 to 30 knots decreasing to 10 to 15 knots during the morning.
- 1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning.
- South to southwesterly 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 4 metres offshore.
- Cloudy. 50% chance of showers.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:00 pm WST Friday.