Forecast issued at 10:31 am WST on Thursday 25 August 2016.
A high pressure system south of the State will move eastwards into the Bight tonight. A cold front moves east through the southwest of the State during Friday afternoon and evening, reaching the southeast of the State on Saturday. A low pressure system off the south coast behind the front moves eastwards over the weekend.
Forecast for Thursday until midnight
- North to northeasterly 15 to 20 knots west of Cape Leeuwin, 10 to 15 knots east of Cape Leeuwin. Becoming northerly 15 to 20 knots throughout in the late evening.
- 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres offshore north of Cape Leeuwin.
- Southwesterly 2.5 to 3 metres.
- Mostly sunny.
Friday 26 August
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Leeuwin Coast
- Northerly 20 to 25 knots becoming northwesterly 25 to 30 knots from the west during the morning then tending west to northwesterly during the afternoon.
- 1.5 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.
- Southwesterly 2 to 2.5 metres.
- Cloudy. Near 100% chance of rain. The chance of a thunderstorm in the evening. Possible hail offshore in the evening.
Saturday 27 August
- West to southwesterly 30 to 35 knots tending south to southwesterly 30 to 40 knots during the day.
- 3 to 4 metres.
- West to southwesterly 3 to 5 metres, tending south to southwesterly 5 to 6 metres during the morning.
- Cloudy. 90% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon. Possible hail in the morning.
- Dangerous surf conditions hazardous for coastal activities such as swimming, surfing and rock fishing.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
Nearby Coastal Waters
- This forecast is also available via scheduled broadcasts on marine radio.
- Latest Coastal Observations
- Tide Predictions
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:00 pm WST Thursday.