Forecast issued at 9:44 am WST on Friday 29 July 2016.
A high pressure system gradually contracts eastwards as a cold front moves across the southwest this evening. A second, stronger cold front moves through Perth waters late Saturday and during Sunday before a new ridge of high pressure develops over southern WA on Monday.
Forecast for Friday until midnight
Strong Wind Warning for Friday for Perth Local Waters
- Northerly 15 to 25 knots turning northwesterly 25 to 30 knots in the early afternoon. Winds westerly up to 30 knots in the evening.
- 2 metres, increasing to 3 metres around midday.
- West to southwesterly 2 to 3 metres.
- Cloudy. 90% chance of showers.
Saturday 30 July
Strong Wind Warning for Saturday for Perth Local Waters
- Westerly 15 to 25 knots, reaching up to 30 knots in the evening.
- 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1 to 1.5 metres during the morning, then increasing to 2 to 3 metres around midday.
- West to southwesterly 2 to 3 metres, increasing to 2.5 to 4 metres around midday.
- Cloudy. 70% chance of showers.
Sunday 31 July
- Westerly 30 to 35 knots easing to south to southwesterly 20 to 30 knots during the afternoon then shifting south to southeasterly 15 to 20 knots during the evening.
- 3 to 4 metres, decreasing to 2 to 2.5 metres during the afternoon or evening.
- West to southwesterly 3 to 5 metres, increasing to 4 to 7 metres during the morning.
- Partly cloudy. 90% chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm and hail in the morning and afternoon. Caution: Dangerous surf conditions hazardous for coastal activities such as swimming, surfing and rock fishing. Tides expected to be higher than normal.
Monday 1 August
- Southeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning easterly during the morning.
- Around 1 metre, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning.
- West to southwesterly 4 to 6 metres, decreasing to 3 to 4 metres during the afternoon.
- Mostly sunny. Caution: Dangerous surf conditions hazardous for coastal activities such as swimming, surfing and rock fishing. Tides expected to be higher than normal.
Please be awareWind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height. Wind warnings are issued for today and tomorrow and describe the highest category of wind warning for that day.
The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:00 pm WST Friday.